Post Deca Difference Report

WoW Followers

8 Weeks later and I am only just starting to digest the many lessons and experiences of my Deca Iron attempt in June this year. Thankfully my wonderful tri coach warned me to take it easy until end of July. Further advice was given to me after 4 weeks by an experienced Deca triathlete that it would take at least to mid August. This was not what I wanted to hear as I had plans for Mount Tam double. My body and mind was thrilled.

There is so much to write it may take a few different attempts. Feel free to e mail me for further specific questions that may not get answered here.

Logistics: Website: Enduroman.com has plenty of photos
Location:  SOuthern England outside Bournemouth on an Activity center.
Terrain: Swim: Lake 13 laps. Fatigue is an interesting feature how it exacerbates hypothermia making you want to wear 3 layers of clothing under a wetsuit. This is what all the experienced deca racers advised.
Time: Daily 06h00 am start, 22 hour cut off for this particular event  because of the open road cycling sans support not normal for most decas on a closed course such as in Italy and Mexico.
 Bike 10 x 11.5 miles on open roads with horses and cows crossing freely for grass and herding their babies.  Tourists would not be expecting bike racers and enjoyed wathching the scenery rather than the road. The roads had no cycling lanes and were typical country lanes, the bigger roads had narrow one car sections to slow trafffic. There was a good number of cattle guards and hills to climb and descend. The ascent and descent into transition was half mile of one lane with more pot holes than pavement.
Run was a 1.1 mile tough trail. 50 yards steep gradient loose pavement out of transition, 1/4 mile loose gravel steep descent, 1/4 mile mud and slippery bridge, roots, uneven camber, 1/4 mile runnable obstacle course around the trees and 1/4 mile steep ascent that required walking before a final 50 yard treacherous descent avoiding tree roots and more into transition.

Nutrition: Liquid Nutrition before the swim such as Ensure or boost and a bar. Chocolate milk and Chocolate recoverite after the swim and on the bike. Solids with meals but will plan to be more scientific with calorie calculations next time.

Number of athletes: 11 started: 9 males, 2 females, mostly from UK besides one guy from France. The other female had got to day 8 last year. SHe got to day 5 this year. 6 completed all 10 days. 4 of them had not finished the event last year.

Crew: I had one crew member who is a race director for the triple Ironman in Virginia and wanted to see how Europe conduct ultra events. I had others who came to assist through friends of friends and word of mouth.

Highlights: When the sun was out and I was able to think and perform my race plan.

Low moments: When my mind heard and clung to negative imput which affected my performance that I could not override.  Learn to master your mind. It is your strongest weapon and tool for success in all areas of life. I will sharpen this weapon and tool. 

Biggest challenge: understanding the recovery process mentally, physically and emotionally. Far greater in depth and length than any previous event.

Gratitude for the opportunity and all the support shown before,during and after the event meant more than words could ever express. THis is especially meant to ALL my Tri team sheeper mates, My sponsors past and present - special shout out and thanks to ROCKTAPE that prevented me from getting any major injuries and to all the incredible work of Resistance Stretch Guide Kris from Stretchworks for ensuring I was aware of stretches to keep me loose and limber before, during and after the event. Without her advise my recovery may have taken a lot longer.
 My friends, crew and family some of who flew across the globe to support me in numerous ways.  My sister flew to meet me on day 10 in the pouring rain because it was my birthday. I promised her and my brother that I would not be so silly again and my Quote they have recorded is " I am done in more ways than one".  I am debating if I am really ready to retire from the ultra world but......... I need to get back on the horse to finish unfinished business. First we will see how a few hundred milers go and my new sport of a 4 year graduate Nursing PhD program starting in a weeks time.

Thanks for reading and your support. I just found all the wonderful comments too. THey mean a ton to me. SIncere appreciation.






Comments

david said…
Online accelerated degrees are the quickest and easiest path to a new future. There are some fast track programs now available at online universities that give you the opportunity to get that college degree in 24 months. For further information visit site for the details.

Popular posts from this blog

Crew desired for 6/6- 20, 2010 CA - MD

DecaI Ironman Difference 2012

Official Finish for RAAM: 9:15am EDT!